Welcome to Grace Lutheran Church in Victoria BC
Whoever you are and wherever you are on your journey of faith, you are welcome in this place
WE INVITE YOU TO WORSHIP WITH US
If you are new to Victoria, or just visiting the Victoria area, and you are looking for a warm and welcoming place to worship, PLEASE COME - worship, sing, reflect, enjoy some refreshments and conversation after the service, and meet us - we would love to meet you!
We worship at 10 am every Sunday, and celebrate Holy Communion on the first and third Sundays, where everyone is welcome at the Lord's Table, with a Service of the Word or other special service on the other Sundays.
We are led by Pastor Lenora Grauer, and members of the congregation take part in the worship services as assisting ministers, musicians, ushers, hospitality, altar and sanctuary decoration, and many more areas.
March 3 - Transfiguration of our Lord Pastor Lenora Grauer Communion
March 10 - 1st Sunday of Lent Pastor Lenora Grauer Service of the Word
March 17 - 2nd Sunday of Lent Pastor Lenora Grauer Communion
March 24 - 3rd Sunday of Lent Rev. Jim Hill Presiding, Rev. Peter Parker Preaching, Service of the Word
March 31 - 4th Sunday of Lent Rev. Jim Hill Presiding, Rev. Rob Fitterer Preaching, Service of the Word
1273 Fort Street
Victoria BC V8V 3L4
Administration Office - 9 am to 2 pm
Wednesday and Thursday
AFFIRMATION OF WELCOME
WE are a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, whose members are from many nations, races, cultures, and religious-theological backgrounds. WE gather - and we welcome YOU - with acceptance of each other regardless of marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, physical or mental health, social class or economic status.
WE welcome YOU to a relationship and partnership to grow in God's grace as a community striving to live out the love of Jesus Christ and to be in mission with others for God's sake in today's world.
We are a Reconciling in Christ Congregation
We are a Christ-centered community who gather to worship, pray, study and grow in faith.
As disciples of Jesus moved by the Holy Spirit, we are called to live out God's unconditional love.
All are welcome to join us on this spiritual journey, to find meaning and purpose in life through the free gift of God's grace.
Our foundational spiritual practices are read, worship, pray, study, serve, tell, stewardship. We are a member of the BC Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada (ELCIC). As part of the ELCIC, we are members of both Canadian Lutheran World Relief and the Lutheran World Federation. We are a Reconciling in Christ congregation. Reconciling in Christ (RIC) is a program for Lutheran communities of faith to answer the inclusive call of the Gospel by welcoming people of all sexual orientation and gender identities.
Grace is our core word - God's unconditional love for us all. It inspires us, enlivens us, challenges us to live lives that are as loving as God has shown us in the person of Jesus.
We gather together to worship at 10:00 am every Sunday. We pray, we sing, we laugh, we lament, we open ourselves to be in relationship with God, learning about Jesus' way, wanting to be like he was, bringing God's love into the world. We celebrate the Lord's meal on the first and third Sundays, as well as all feast days. Everyone is welcome at the Lord's table.
People of all ages assist in leading the service. That's because people of all ages are in the pews. We like that! Our worship service is liturgical, which simply means "the people's work", using various media at various times to help proclaim the gospel for today. There is always a window open for the Spirit's movement in this place. We are a singing congregation. The songs we sing range between the old and the new, world music to gospel, contemporary to old favourites.
At Grace, we are dedicated to offering opportunities for all ages to be able to grow as disciples, Jesus style. Here are some that are on-going:
- Prayer Circle: members who pray for named individuals and concerns
- Short term study groups: Bible study, books, etc.
- Service Teams: Hospitality, Mission & Outreach, Worship (all aspects), Altar Care, Sanctuary Arts, Ushers, gardeners.....
........and more - there is always an opportunity for you to share your God-given gifts and thirst to give, with us.
For information on any of these groups, please call the church office 250-383-5256, or email email@example.com
Truly, all are invited! Join us!
COME! WORSHIP WITH US!
CHILDREN and YOUTH
Children and Youth are not just the church of tomorrow, but are a vital part of the church today.
Sunday School - No formal Sunday School currently, but children are certainly welcome. There are colouring and activity sheets to use at the kids' table in the Sanctuary, where they can listen, pray, sing and take part in worship service.
CLAY (Canadian Lutheran Anglican Youth) CLAY is an incredible youth-centered (ages 14 – 19) program that empowers youth and develops leadership, gathering Anglican and Lutheran youth from all across Canada every two years at different locations in Canada. At CLAY, youth encounter scripture in meaningful ways, experience ancient and modern ways of worship, learn together in special interest forums, enjoy fantastic social events, explore the host city, make connections with youth from all over Canada and celebrate life together. Not only do the youth have an extraordinary time at CLAY, they share what they experience and learn in their home communities.
The most recent CLAY gathering was in Thunder Bay Ontario, August 15-19, 2018. Go to http://www.claygathering.ca for pictures of CLAY and for more information.
MISSION AND OUTREACH
"As disciples of Jesus moved by the Holy Spirit, we are called to share God's unconditional love, to be In Mission for Others"
We work with agencies near and far to help meet the needs of those around us as Jesus would have us do. Our aim is to do our part in making this a compassionate society for all to live.
· provide food and workers for St. John the Divine Emergency Food Bank: ALWAYS NEEDED - non-perishable foods: canned vegetables, fruit, meats, pet food, peanut butter, etc.; and packaged foods such as cereals, pasta side dishes, cookies, crackers, etc. Donations of money in cash or cheque are also welcome. Bring your food and/or financial donations to Grace any Wednesday or Thursday morning, or to Sunday worship; we will ensure they are delivered to the Food Bank.
· provide help to The Mustard Seed Food Bank: ALWAYS NEEDED - non-perishable foods: canned vegetables, fruit, meats, pet food, peanut butter, etc.; and packaged foods such as cereals, pasta and/or rice, cookies, crackers, etc. Donations of money in cash or cheque are also welcome. Bring your food or financial donations to Grace any Wednesday or Thursday morning, or to Sunday worship - we will ensure they are delivered to The Mustard Seed.
· provide support for the young students of Central Middle School: We support Central during the school year in any way we can, including donating to their breakfast program, collecting school supplies for those students who need them, and making our church facilities available for special enrichment classes such as yoga.
· provide food, gifts and support for Our Place, a local meeting place and shelter for the homeless
· support and participate in the work of the Victoria Downtown Churches Association, The Interfaith Liaison Network and the Victoria MultiFaith Society.
· support and participate in the work of the Truth and Reconciliation Committee of Victoria
· support and participate in the funding of refugees coming to Victoria
We support with our worship space, time, and energy: KAIROS, 12-step groups, and other initiatives dedicated to advocacy for those who are most vulnerable.
FURTHER AWAY, we support Canadian Lutheran World Relief (CLWR) and the Lutheran World Foundation (LWF) in order to help those around the world who suffer from disaster, poverty and misfortune.
We also share a special relationship with the people of San Juan Camino de Esperanza, our companion congregation located in Lima, Peru. There is much we are learning from them as they are an inner city congregation overflowing with children.
Our engagement in these various areas of mission and outreach are open to all who are moved to participate.
Come and join us in doing our part to make a peaceful, just world for all to live.
We acknowledge that we gather to worship on the traditional territories of the Songhees First Nations
GRACE FACILITY USE OPPORTUNITIES
Would you like to use our physical space for a gathering, meeting, recital or reception?
Would you like to find out more about baptisms, weddings and funerals?
At Grace we see our space as a resource to the community. We offer welcoming and inviting facilities for groups as small as 5 or 10 and as large as 200. The many areas at Grace Lutheran Church will accommodate your wedding, reception, funeral or memorial service,,recital or concert, choir practice, public forum, gathering, workshop or meeting, and more.
Plenty of parking.....Conveniently located near downtown Victoria. For more information, costs, or an appointment to view, please contact the Church Administrator (250) 383-5256 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org